Developed by IRTE (Institute of Road Transport Engineers) and now quality-assured by leading awarding organisation in the sector IMI Awards Ltd, IRTEC is the premier technician accreditation scheme for the road transport industry.
An IRTEC licence certifies the individual, rather than the employer, and IRTEC is based on current competence, so licences expire after 5 years.
- To achieve accreditation, you must pass a series of practical assessments and an under pinning knowledge test at an irtec-approved assessment centre
- Before you can take an assessment you must be able to prove your experience of working in that sector of the industry. The length of experience required will depend upon the irtec route/level and/or the qualifications you already hold. You may also find that you need training to close any gaps in your skills prior to the assessment
- You must successfully complete all the assessments within a 12 month period from the first assessment date
- On the assessment day you must read and agree to abide by the irtec Code of Conduct. You will also have your photograph taken in readiness for the ID card issued to successful candidates
- Once you have achieved your accreditation, your details will be entered on the irtec website register of accredited technicians
To ensure that you have kept up-to-date with new technologies, you will have to be re-assessed every 5 years to maintain your accreditation
3 years minimum experience or a relevant Level 3 qualification.
How will I be assessed?
This assessment can be delivered on your premises. However, if your premises does not comply with the recommended criteria, then arrangements can be made to complete the programme at our state of the art facilities.
On successful completion of the two on-line tests, a follow practical assessment of 1.5 hours will be carried out on a vehicle 6 weekly inspection.
For further information regarding the above licensing scheme please contact the Kingsway Team on 01724 294040 or visit www.soe.org.uk/irtec-licensing-scheme.